Sunday, February 6, 2011

Coterie Questionnaire

Hi loves, I was recently invited to answer a few questions about myself and the Single brand for Coterie's magazine and I wanted to share my responses with you, my oh-so-loyal and lovely blog readers!!

Enjoy, and if you have any questions for me, please leave a comment :-)

Xo, G














1. Describe this collection in one sentence.
"Single" Collection is designed for the "Urban Fashionista" -who is Glamorous, Sensual, and Confident-she feels Great in her own skin.

2. What was your inspiration for your Fall ’11 collection?
The inspiration for the Fall '11 Collection-was the Sexy Glamour of the late 70's Ozzie Clark Dresses that hit below the knee and look Fantastic w/boots, my favorite film "Eyes of Laura Mars" w/Faye Dunaway-stylized looks of Helmut Newton. The  Look of effortless Glamour.

3. Any new products, fabrics, etc. being introduced this season?
We @ "Single" are always on the lookout for the newest, edgiest Fabrics-A New Fabrication we are working with is an Italian 4-way stretch Gabardine it feels amazing and fits like a Glove, we line our dresses with a stretch Sateen Lining-**called "The Single Secret Weapon", it is slimming and has spandex, and holds you in.  We are also incorporating lots of new knits Modal/Rayon blends, and printed knits they travel great, and have ease and comfort.

3.  Who is on your celeb “wish list” to dress?
I would Love to dress Angelina Jolie we have just the Fitted dresses that would enhance her amazing figure, and Nicole Kidman, she can carry a "Single" dress from dinner to the theater, and back to a Power Lunch.

4.  Any celeb fans of the line?
We have many wonderful Celebrity Fans of our line:  Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Eva Longoria, Fergie, and J.Lo just to name a few.

5.  Do you take any inspiration from any celeb’s personal style or do they not affect your brand?
I take inspiration from some Celebrities that have an Individual Style, they are Victoria Beckham (we even named our Best Selling dress after her,  Kate Moss love her Carefree Boho style, and Nicole Richie.

6.  Who was the best dressed at the Globes and/or SAG Awards?
I loved Emma Stone, Claire Danes, and Anne Hathaway-these 3 ladies were the Best, and most modern Dressed actresses @ The Globes.

7. Who are you looking forward to seeing on the Oscars' red-carpet?

I am looking forward to seeing as always: Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, I really miss Cate Blanchett-she was always the best at the Oscar's.

8.  If you could only shop at one store for the rest of your life, what would it be/why?
If I could only shop in one store for the rest of my life it would be:  Neiman Marcus in Beverly Hills-it is my home away from home---the atmosphere of Glamorous Refinement, and the Enchantment of their Evening collections- always inspires me, as well as their amazing Shoe Selection, I love the Mariposa Rest. and the Bar on 4 with the Gorgeous Bartenders and awesome Cosmo's is to dye for......Guaranteed to brighten up anyone's Day.

9.  What are your post-Coterie plans?
My Post-Coterie Plans  are a Ski trip with my husband and children to Mammoth ski Resort in California.  There is so much snow up there, and the skiing conditions are Great, I love strolling through the Village at night with a Hot chocolate, and looking up at all the trees covered in Snow.  Also love the new Westin Hotel that opened there and their "White Bark" Restaurant, last trip we spotted Eva Mendez, and the Olsen Twins sitting next to us, and being friendly with our kids.

10.  What makes this season’s collection unique from your previous Fall collections?
This Season for "Single" is unique because we are Experimenting with lot's of Fabric Mixing, as well as redefining the Structured "Victoria" look., we have also introduced New Longer mid-calf 70's inspired silhouettes. This is Exciting for our Brand, because we were always known for our Original Prints, and Resort looks. Now we have a strong Fall Collection, and everyone is Loving it.


11.  What is something you think sets your brand apart from the others?
"Single" Brand is defined by the woman who wears it, she is strong, confident, and fiercely Loyal to her "Single"wardrobe, we pride ourselves on Manufacturing in USA (80% of our Collection is made in Los Angeles) we support our US Economy, which many of today's brands do not do.    We use high Quality Fabrics, Stretch linings in all our Structured dresses, and pay great attention to the Quality of our Garments.
  
12.  What are the three big trends we should look for this fall? 

1) Strong, and Classic 40's Refined Dress Silhouette Continues for  classic Structured dresses

2) New Mid-Calf Length worn in late 70's, inspired by Ozzie Clark, and "Biba" boutiques in London

3) Color-Jewel tones I love color, even in the Darkest colder days of Winter a touch of color always will brighten up a room. Women love Rich color.

13.  Which is your favorite of these trends?
I love all 3 trends, and intend to incorporate them all in our Collection.


14.  Any trends that we should eliminate from our wardrobes forever, and why?
Wearing a "Velour track suit" out in public, those "Juicy suits"  should be worn at home on cozy evenings, not seen in Public, and never in Restaurants with dressy Designer Bags.....

15.  Do you use social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) as leverage for your brand?
We absolutely use Social Media to promote our Brand, on Face book, Twitter, and our Website.  I have a Blog that is posted every week, and always talk about "Single", and promote our website www.singledress.com

16.  Do you think social media is changing the way the fashion world does business?
I absolutely think that Social Media is changing the way young women shop today, even the way I shop-I never leave my desk:
I have the Guilt Group, and Outnet.com always at my fingertips for the latest Bargains.  

17.  Why do you love showing at Coterie?
I Love Showing @ Coterie because we always meet new Clients, open New doors, attract new customers.  I also Love hearing from my Customers what is selling for them, what is working for their Customers, everyone loves to hear the success stories.

18.  Who is your style icon?
My style Icon-I would say Tina Chow (the late wife of Mr.. Michael Chow and a top model in the 80's, as well as Victoria Beckham,

I love her new found Refinement, and her strict rule of Elegance always, you would never catch her in a pair of Sweats, with a
ripped up tee-shirt--more Young Actresses today should take notice, and learn a thing or two from these women of Style!)

19.  What inspired you to start designing your own line?
I grew up around clothing, Graduated from FIT, and worked on 7th Avenue, when I moved to Los Angeles-I wanted to have an individual Voice, I wanted to create Fabulous Clothes that I wanted to wear, but could not find.  My husband helped me realize my dream, he is my business partner.

20.  What are three things every girl an/or guy must have in his/her closet?
1) *A Great Belt (my favorite is my Hermes belt-it was an investment 10 years ago, but I wear it all the time, and it dresses up even
 a basic Gap Tee-shirt)

2)* An Amazing Black Dress for a Girl preferably from "Single", and a Great Black shirt for a Guy (* a must, and it should fit like a Glove!)

3)* A Fabulous Nude Shoe---Platform a must it will elongate your leg, (hopefully a great bag to go w/it!!!)

21.  What is your one Fall ’11 “must have?”
MY "Victoria" dress from www.singledress.com  in all colors, I wear it to the Gallery openings, to dinners, and to Business meetings.  When I wear it-I command Power, and feel amazing: Strong, confident, Feminine.

22.  Are you optimistic about the upcoming season?
I am very Optimistic about this upcoming Season-we @ "Single" started it out with a Big Bang, the Sales have doubled, and our
Intermezzo Show was Fantastic, we also had a Great turn-out in Chicago, and Atlanta Markets, so I am very much looking forward
to Coterie.

23.  What’s the main item that buyers come to your line for?
Our dresses mainly right now for Fall the "Victoria", the "Veronica', and the "Alison" all huge hits with Neiman Marcus, Cusp,
Lord and Taylor, and Specialty Boutiques.

24.  What changes have you noticed in retail over the past year?
There have been many changes, but the biggest One is the Growth of Internet Sales, our Business with our Internets Customers has grown 4 times this year.  I feel that in the future it will only increase.  More and more women are shopping from the comfort of their computers whether it's from home or office.  This is the Future!

25.  What's your advice for a successful stint at Coterie? 
My advise for a successful Coterie is to try and get a good location at the Show-which is sometimes impossible for a new Vendor.
Try to Show product that stands out from the rest.  
It is still tough out there, but Consistent Exposure helps.

Galina Sobolev  designer/owner of Single by Galina Sobolev, www.singledress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment