Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Event Report: The Royal Ascot

Hello dears,

I can't wait to share the following recap... with memories that are a dream come true.

As long as I can remember, I've always wanted to attend the Royal Ascot. Ever since first viewing the classic film My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn, reading Jane Austen novels (falling in love with the fictional character of Mr. Darcy, of course), and being addicted to British original series "Upstairs Downstairs" (this is a must-watch, in fact I believe that "Downton Abbey" copied it) - I have considered myself a hopeless Anglophile. I am obsessed with all things that the British Empire offers to the world!

The main event of the year in England is the Royal Ascot, and this year I had the ultimate privilege of attending! What a brilliantly fun trip this was for me - not to mention a dream come true :-)

To prepare, I spent a few mad, crazy weeks frantically shopping for the right outfit and matching hat and shoes... the "Ascot Look" if you can call it that! I ran to my true and trusted friend, Louise Green of Louise Green Millinery. She is all that (and more!) of what a couture hat maker can be. Her shop is located in Century City and I was there to pick from her goodies the week before my trip.

To put it into context, I usually never panic about clothing or outfits. However, as I was prepping my ensemble for this epic trip, I did end up doing my fair share of panicking! Once this subsided, I was ready to head to London. Once I arrived, I was greeted by my lovely group of girlfriends (some of whom are from the Kazakhstan Embassy) and we all looked forward to a day at the races.

We arrived at Ascot, which is located on the grounds and in close proximity to the Windsor Castle. The drive from London (about an hour) was lovely, and filled with lush green English countryside. Echoes of romantic horse rides from days gone by danced in my imagination :-)

The attendants were all in their top regalia, and the ladies in their beautiful outfits and showstopping hats. Most impressive were the men, dressed in top hats and tails, as if they were from another time. So elegant and graceful!

It was a mesmerizing time, and I felt so lucky to be there in person. We had the special VIP Royal Package, and after a fantastic champagne toast and some appetizers in the Pavilion, we went to watch the Royal Procession. We saw her majesty Queen Elizabeth, as well as Prince Philip in the Royal Carriage. After the Procession was the race, and we placed various bets. I bet on a horse called the White Night (of course, being the dreamer of all things royal) however my Night came in third.

We then had an incredible lunch, followed by a second race which was even more exciting than the first! Following the second race, we were served a proper English afternoon tea, complete with delicious desserts served on trays such as chocolate truffles and scones. All I could think to myself was "it's good to be Queen, if only for a fleeting moment!" We were also very lucky to have sunny, warm weather, which doesn't happen too often in England.

The day flew by, and I truly wish I could have stopped time for this day to last just a bit longer. This full-day affair was filled with excitement, luxury and glamorous, which ended up serving as inspiration for my new Spring Collection which I intend on calling "The Ascot Days."

Until next time, enjoy these photos from the beautifully captured moments at the Royal Ascot.

Xo, G




















No comments:

Post a Comment