Sunday, February 27, 2011

Happy Oscar Day!

Hi my dears,

Today is the pinnacle of Awards Season - the Oscars! I am getting ready to see all of the glorious glamour and fashion on the red carpet (my favorite part) and wanted to share this interview I did for Reason.TV with you.

For anyone who is passionate about fashion, this is a must watch!! I spoke out about my stance on the newly proposed law where fashion designers will not be able to create any garment that resembles (be it a little or a lot) another designer's designs. Check out what I had to say below...

"Every dress and every top and every pant that we do really is special and unique, and that's really what Single stands for. I should be the one really saying, 'Oh my god, I want this bill to pass.' It's just an open gateway for creating tons and tons of unnecessary litigation. We create 30 looks per month, every month. This bill will create nothing but new great jobs for all the lawyers. Secondly, who is the judge who will be the person who will make the decision whether the garment is identical or substantially identical to the design supposedly protected by this bill? As a designer, every time I go to create a collection, I'm going to worry 'Oh my god, who's going to sue me if I use this sleeve? Who's going to sue me if I create this dress?' If this bill was in effect as we grew our company, we could have faced millions and millions of lawsuits, and we would have never actually had a company. We would have never had employees. This will lose hundreds of thousands of jobs specifically in California, because a lot of the mass manufacturers are here, and there's a lot of money behind the bill. So it's very disheartening, it's very frightening in a way."

What are your thoughts on this hot button topic, everyone?

Xo, G

 





1 comment:

  1. what an amazing clip,

    galina - i loved ur take on the matter, V.

    ReplyDelete